Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Trip to Blenheim Palace and Rousham Gardens

Went to Blenheim Palace ( home of W. Churchills family) and Rousham Gardens today.
The first day without sun! Not so good for taking photographs ;-(

Blenheim Palace is seen as a masterpiece of English Baroque architecture and was a gift (!) by Queen Anne to the first Duke of Marlborough (must have been Winston Churchills grand grand grand ... father...).
The famous british garden designer 'Capability' Brown landscaped 2100 acres of parkland (850ha!!!) including beautiful lakes, different formal gardens and lawns lawns lawns.
I liked the gardens although they are VERY formal and I think it looks a lot nicer with the sun out. 

We finally bought a day ticket which gives us access for a whole year (bargain!) as we might come back in winter and spring. And guess what: Karl-Heinz got a adult ticket as well! He just looks a little fat on the picture...


Rousham Gardens have been one of the most beautiful gardens I have ever seen. They were designed by William Kent (1685-1748) with temples, pond, beautiful flower garden with lots of DAHLIAS ( I never liked them because they are a hussle to digg out in autum and put back in spring, but I changed my mind today) and of course a vegetable garden. If I talk about gardens here, I mean probably "park", even the vegetable garden is nothing sizewise I have seen before... its huge.
It was great, stunning and so amazing that even the sun decided to give us a glimpse. Great relaxing and inspiring day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.